This Chick Does Chinese

I know it's probably sounding disingenuous to say I love Chinese food since I've said I love Mexican and Italian, too and I do. Let's just say, I love food. Now that, that's out of the way, let's talk Chinese. I love Chinese and don't always want to get take out so I set out to make my own. I am still perfecting my fried rice recipe so I can't post that yet but I have gotten pretty good at Chicken Egg Rolls, Sesame Chicken and Stir Fry Vegetables.

 
LORINDA'S CHICKEN EGG ROLLS

I served these at a dinner party and my friends and family tore these up.  Everybody had seconds, some people had thirds.  I'm just saying. . . they're good!*



INGREDIENTS:
  • 16 ounce bag shredded cole slaw (contains cabbage and shredded carrots)
  • 3/4 cup finely diced mushrooms
  • 1/2 cup chopped bean sprouts
  • 3 cups shredded chicken (cooked)
  • 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
  • Garlic Powder
  • Onion Powder
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Vegetable or Canola, for frying
  • 25 - 30 egg roll wrappers

DIRECTIONS:

Combine cole slaw, mushrooms, bean sprouts and chicken in a large bowl.  Season liberally with garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper.  Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a non-stick skillet. Add slaw mixture to skillet, heat until slaw just begins to wilt, about 3 minutes.  Remove from heat and drain.  Add hoisin sauce and stir well to combine. 

Place one heaping tablespoon on the edge of an egg roll and roll up.



Roll the sides.



Then finish the roll.





After your egg rolls are ready.  Heat 1 cup of oil in a small pot.  Once the oil is hot, place 2 - 3 egg rolls in the hot oil and cook 3 -4 minutes until golden brown.

* For tips on making amazing egg rolls, check out http://steamykitchen.com/13029-my-mothers-famous-chinese-egg-rolls-2.html

 
 
 
SESAME CHICKEN

Adapted and modified from Perfect Sesame Chicken at
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/perfect-sesame-chicken/

My family and friends loved this sesame chicken.  I changed the recipe to suit my family's taste but "Perfect Sesame Chicken" was a great base.  To cut down on the fat, I baked my chicken and it was still super delicious.



INGREDIENTS:
  • 4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 4 tablespoons white vinegar
  • 4 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 4 tablespoons sesame oil
  • 2 teaspoons chili sauce
  • 1/2 cup corn starch
  • 1 cup water
  • Onion powder
  • Garlic Powder
  • Seasoned Salt 
  • 3 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
DIRECTIONS:

Combine chicken broth, sugar, honey, vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil and chili sauce. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low.  Stir corn starch into water until well combined.  Add to sauce and heat until thickened about 3 -4 minutes.

Season chicken liberally with onion powder, garlic powder and seasoned salt. Bake at  350 degrees for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, begin to baste the chicken with sauce every 5 minutes until chicken is cooked through which is about 45 minutes to an hour.  Just before serving, sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.

Use remaining sauce as a dip for egg rolls.



VEGETABLE STIR FRY

These veggies are good especially if you don't overcook them.  They are very flavorful and make a great side dish or add same sauteed chicken and you've got a meal.  I used broccoli and cabbage but you could add zucchini or carrots. Be creative.


INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 cups broccoli
  • 1 small head cabbage, shredded
  • 4 sliced green onions
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1 tablespoon sesame oil
  • 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
  • Canola or vegetable oil
  • 1 tablespoon butter

DIRECTIONS:

Coat vegetables with sesame oil. Season vegetables with garlic powder, onion powder and ginger. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large pan and add vegetables. Saute vegetables then add hoisin sauce.  Stir to combine. Finish with butter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IT'S COCKTAIL TIME

FATHER'S DAY BBQ

KETO LASAGNA